1. He solved the ___________ problem.
Ans. (B) hard
2. Add a suitable prefix to ‘Embark’.
Ans. (A) Disembark
3. Use the right preposition.
He deals ________ cosmetic goods.
Ans. (C) in
4. Fill in the blank with right option.
He cannot cope ________ this pressure.
Ans. (B) with
5. ‘Impassioned’ means
Ans. (A) Ardent
6. What is the time ___________ your watch?
Ans. (A) by
7. Convert the given sentence into an interrogative sentence and see below for the correct option :
“Honesty is the best policy”
Ans. (B) Is not honesty the best policy?
8. He will reach home ________ at evening.
Ans. (B) late
[Note : In the question ‘at’ should be ‘in the’]
9. Which complex form is correct for the following sentence? ‘Everyone is happy during Christmas celebration.’
Ans. (A) When Christmas celebrations occur everyone is happy.
[Note : In option (A) ‘celebrations’ should be ‘celebration’]
10. Use the appropriate preposition in the sentence :
We sat _________ the shade of the tree.
Ans. (C) in
11. Babies __________ when they are hungry.
Ans. (D) cry
12. It is nine o’clock in Darjeeling in the morning and _________.
Ans. (B) it is snowing
13. Select the correct option :
I need a ________ note.
Ans. (B) five-hundred rupee
14. We _________ our dinner last night.
Fill in the blank with the right verb form.
Ans. (B) took
15. Choose the correct indirect statement.
He said, “grass is green.”
Ans. (A) He told that grass is green.
[Note : In option (A) told should be said]
16. Use the correct expression :
I _________ the patient will die.
Ans. (D) am afraid
17. The idiomatic expression ‘pull yourself together’—
Ans. (D) calm down by oneself
18. The word ‘Analogous’ means
Ans. (C) comparable
19. Never __________ upon the marginalized. Fill in with the right phrasal verb.
Ans. (B) look down
20. The word ‘Genocide’ means
Ans. (A) Racial killing
21. Tick the correct option :
_________ are still tortured in remote villages.
Ans. (C) Daughters-in-law
22. Correct passive form of the following sentence ‘Orange tastes sour’ is :
Ans. (C) Orange is sour when tasted.
23. The correct antonym of ‘Lecherous’ is
Ans. (D) Chaste
24. Select the correct option :
I was sure I __________ meet him.
Ans. (A) would
25. Find the appropriate synonym for the word ‘Climactic’.
Ans. (A) Culminating
26. Through which Educational Report Calcutta University came into existence?
Ans. (D) Wood’s Despatch
27. Who led the Bardoli Movement?
Ans. (A) Vallabhbhai Patel
28. How many Indian States have touched the border of West Bengal?
Ans. (C) 5
29. Somasila Dam is located in which Indian State?
Ans. (C) Andhra Pradesh
30. The difference between GDP at market prices and GDP at factor cost is
Note : Correct answer should be Net Indirect Taxes.
31. Identify the vector quantity from the following :
Ans. (B) Angular momentum
32. Potassium permanganate is used to purify water as it is
Ans. (B) oxidizing
33. Kiru Hydroelectric power project is situated in
Ans. (C) Jammu and Kashmir
34. What is the meaning of ‘Ghadar’?
Ans. (A) Revolt
35. In which year West Dinajpur district of West Bengal was divided into two districts namely North Dinajpur and South Dinajpur?
Ans. (C) 1992
36. The slogan ‘Garibi Hatao’ is coined by
Ans. (A) Indira Gandhi
37. What were the two assemblies during the early vedic period?
Ans. (D) Both (A) and (B)
38. The Icon of Golden Jubilee Award by IFFA, 2019, was conferred on the actor
Ans. (C) Rajnikanth
39. Kakrapar Atomic Centre is located near which city in India?
Ans. (C) Surat
40. John, Aries, and Joseph are brothers with different ages.
Given that :
(i) Aries is the oldest.
(ii) Joseph is not the oldest.
(iii) John is not the youngest.
Who is the youngest?
Ans. (C) Joseph
41. Which can bind O2 molecules?
Ans. (A) Red blood cells
42. Which among the following was the single biggest item of import to the Vijayanagar empire?
Ans. (B) Precious stones
43. Who was the founder of the Jamia Milia Islamia?
Ans. (B) Muhammad Ali
44. If you were running a race and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?
Ans. (B) 2nd
45. ISRO launched Cartosat-3 recently from
Ans. (A) Sriharikota
46. When was the first battle of Tarain fought?
Ans. (B) 1191 A.D.
47. The Chairperson of Rajya Sabha is
Ans. (B) Vice President of India
48. Teachers’ Day is observed every year in India on
Ans. (A) September, 5
49. L.P.G. is a mixture of
Ans. (B) propane and butane
50. The English established their first factory in India at
Ans. (B) Surat
51. What is the name of the Lake between Godavari and Krishna deltaic region?
Ans. (A) Kolleru Lake
52. The first non-Congress government at the Center was led by
Ans. (B) Morarji Desai
53. Find the odd one out :
Ans. (D) Philosophy
54. Who is called the ‘Father of Indian National Congress’?
Ans. (B) A. O. Hume
55. Literal meaning of ‘Lokpal’ is
Ans. (A) Caretaker of the people
56. Who started the first English Newspaper in India?
Ans. (C) J. A. Hickey
57. Who was known as the creator of modern Hindi literature?
Ans. (D) Harishchandra
58. D is taller than C and E. A is not as tall as E. C is taller than A. D is not as tall as B. Then, who is the 2nd tallest person?
Ans. (C) D
59. What number should come next in the sequence 6, 11, 21, 36, 56, ________?
Ans. (B) 81
60. The river on which Tilpara Barrage is located?
Ans. (D) Mayurakshi
61. Who was the first editor of the Amrita Bazar Patrika?
Ans. (B) Sisir Kumar Ghosh
62. Chumbi Valley is on boundary of
Ans. (A) Sikkim–Bhutan
63. Goods and Services Tax (GST) was introduced in India by Finance Minister
Ans. (A) Arun Jaitley
64. The scale used for measuring the intensity of the earthquake is
Ans. (C) Richter scale
65. In the logo of Lokpal, vigilance is represented by
Ans. (B) Ashoke Chakra
66. Who was the Governor General during the annulment of ‘Sati’?
Ans. (A) Lord Bentinck
67. National Institute of Disaster Management or NIDM was previously named as :
Ans. (A) National Centre of Disaster Management
68. Consider the following statements with reference to the National Hydrology project.
1. It was launched in 2016 with the assistance of World Bank.
2. It provides for establishment of National Water Informatics Centre (NWIC).
3. Its objective is to improve the extent, quality and accessibility of water resources information.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Ans. (C) 1, 2 and 3
69. Plants receive nutrients from
Ans. (C) soil
70. Under whose Governor Generalship the Railways were introduced in India ?
Ans. (D) Lord Dalhousie
71. ‘Neel-Darpan’ by Dina Bandhu Mitra portrays the plight of
Ans. (B) Indigo Planters
72. What was the date of “Queens’ proclamation”?
Ans. (A) 1st November, 1858
73. Which of the following is a correct statement about Indus Valley civilization ?
Ans. (C) Both Surkotada and Dholavira are located in the Kutchh region of Gujarat.
74. Who established the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) of India in 1948 ?
Ans. (D) Homi Bhabha
75. The commander of Alauddin Khilji’s forces during his Deccan campaigns was
Ans. (C) Malik Kafur
76. Fit India Movement, launched in August 2019 by
Ans. (C) Narendra Modi (Prime Minister)
77. Who founded the Khuda-i-Khidmatgar party ?
Ans. (B) Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan
78. First Indian product to get G.I Tag is
Ans. (B) Darjeeling Tea
79. The present Finance Minister of India–
Ans. (B) Nirmala Sitaraman
80. The distinct letters of the word EXTRAORDINARY are arranged in alphabetic order. Then the letter in the fifth position from left is
Ans. (A) N
[Note : In bengali version question, the answer should be option (C) – I, because the term, ‘distinct’
81. Which one is a fertilizer?
Ans. (D) NaNO3
82. Which among the following great revolutionaries was the brain behind the ‘Chittagong Armoury Raid’?
Ans. (C) Surya Sen
83. The severe cyclonic storm that struck West Bengal in 2019 was
Ans. (B) Bulbul
84. Arundhoti Swarna Yojana by Assam Govt. starting from 1st January 2020 aims to
Ans. (B) encourage brides to register their marriage.
85. What was the Act III, 1872 ?
Ans. (A) Social Reform Act
86. Who among the following built the Alai Darwaza?
Ans. (A) Alauddin Khilji
87. Literacy rate in West Bengal census 2011 –
Ans. (D) 77%
88. Numbers are placed in the figure below on the basis of some rules. Find the correct alternative to replace the question mark.
Ans. (C) 39
89. In reference to Mughal period’s revenue collection system, ‘Zabti’ means
Ans. (D) 1/3rd of total yield
90. Head Count Ratio (HCR) is widely used in India as a measure of
Ans. (A) Poverty
91. The Cabinet Mission came to India in the year
Ans. (A) 1946
92. The speed of an ant is 75 cm/sec. The ant travels in a day is
Ans. (A) 64800 m/day
93. Identify the correct pairs for Northern Hemisphere.
1. Winter Solstice –– December 22nd
2. Autumn Equinox –– September 23rd
3. Summer Solstice –– June 21st
4. Spring Equinox –– March 21st
Choose the correct answer from the given code :
Ans. (D) All are correctly matched
94. Find the odd one out :
Ans. (C) 81
95. Nuclear sizes are expressed in a unit named
Ans. (A) Fermi
96. Who planted the ‘Tree of Liberty’ at Seringapatnam?
Ans. (B) Tipu Sultan
97. The absorption of ink by blotting paper involves
Ans. (B) capillary action
98. ‘Chancellor’ of the State-run Universities in West Bengal is
Ans. (A) Governor of the State
99. Which tribal language has been given official status in West Bengal and regarded endangered by UNESCO?
Ans. (B) Kurukh language
100. Kabuliyat and Patta as instruments of settlement were introduced by
Ans. (A) Sher Shah
101. Who wrote ‘The Indian war of Independence’ ?
Ans. (C) Vinayak Damodar Sabharkar
102. The number in each circle in the number pyramid is the sum of the two numbers just below it. Few of the numbers in a number pyramid are filled in. Find the number in the position marked “?”
Ans. (B) 5
103. The letters L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S and T in their order are substituted by nine integers 1 to 9 but not in that order. 4 is assigned to P. The difference between P and T is 5. The difference between N and T is 3. What is the integer assigned to N ?
Ans. (D) 6
104. Fill in the number grid with the numbers listed. Which of the numbers won’t fit ?
Ans. (B) 173
105. Six persons are seated around a hexagonal table. Anup is seated opposite Belal, who is between Chirag and Derek. Anup is between Ela and Farook. Ela is to the left of Derek. Which of the following pairs is facing each other ?
Ans. (C) Chirag and Ela
106. Consider the following statements regarding ‘Queen Pineapple’.
1. It is the state fruit of Nagaland.
2. It had received Geographical Indication (GI) tag in 2015.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Ans. (B) 2 only
107. International Day of the Tropics is observed every year on
Ans. Correct answer should be 29th June.
108. What was meant by ‘Kherwari Hul’ ?
Ans. (C) Santhal movement
109. Highest Tobacco producing state in India –
Ans. (B) Andhra Pradesh
110. Which region is called the granary of South India ?
Ans. (B) Thanjavur
111. Who was elected as President of the All India Khilafat Conference (23rd November, 1919) ?
Ans. (A) Mahatma Gandhi
112. Radiocarbon dating technique is used to estimate the age of
Ans. (D) fossils
113. According to Indian Constitution, the State Legislatures elect the
Ans. (B) Members of Rajya Sabha
114. ‘Non-performing Assets’(NPA) of Indian Commercial Banks are
Ans. (B) Loans not repaid within stipulated time
115. Which of the followings clearly define ‘Mitakshara’?
Ans. (B) A treatiac on ancient hindu law of inheritance.
116. Who was the founder of the Tattabodhini Sabha ?
Ans. (A) Debendranath Tagore
117. Choose the two correct numbers in the ‘ ’ marked places of the multiplication below.
Ans. (B) 6, 8
118. Demonitisation of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 currency notes was announced on
Ans. (A) 8th November, 2016
119. Which Indian mass movement began with the famous ‘Dandi March’ of Mahatma Gandhi ?
Ans. (C) Civil Disobedience movement
120. Speed of sound is the maximum in
Ans. (D) solids
121. The Constitution of India was adopted by
Ans. (C) Indian Constituent Assembly
122. Nationalisation of 14 Commercial Banks took place in
Ans. (A) 1969
123. Two positions of a dice are shown. Find the number of the dots on the face opposite the face bearing 3 dots.
Ans. (D) 5
124. Light from the sun reaches us in nearly
Ans. (B) 8 minutes
125. Last Census of Indian Population was held in the year
Ans. (C) 2011
126. Inflation in India is
Ans. (B) Single-digit > 0
127. Hydrogen bomb is based on
Ans. (B) nuclear fusion
128. A caterpillar crawls up a pole 75 inches high, starting from the ground. Each day it crawls up 5 inches and each night it slides down 4 inches. When will it first reach the top of the pole?
Ans. (B) The 71st day
129. Going 50m to the south of her house, Radhika turns left and goes another 20 m. Then turning to the north, she goes 30 m and then starts walking to her house. In which direction is she walking now ?
Ans. (C) North West
130. In which Congress the demand for ‘Purna Swaraj’ was placed ?
Ans. (A) Lahore Congress
131. The four principles of ‘FACT Check Module’ are
Ans. (B) Find, assess, create and target
132. Bikaner Canal is taken off from the river
Ans. (C) Satluj
133. The Supreme Court of India upheld that RTI was applicable to the
Ans. (C) Office of the CJI also.
134. What comes next in the sequence 1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63, ______ ?
Ans. (A) 127
135. DEFCOM is jointly organised by
Ans. (C) Corps of signals and confederation of Indian Industry (C.I.I.)
136. PCMA (2006) is the abbreviated version of
Ans. (A) Prohibition of Child Marriage Act
137. ‘Farmers suicide’ in India is viewed as an outcome of
Ans. (A) Agricultural Distress
138. Who among the following historians has written the book entitled ‘The wonder that was India’?
Ans. (A) A. L. Basham
139. Who founded the Forward Bloc?
Ans. (A) Subhaschandra Bose
140. Graphite, carbon and diamonds are
Ans. (D) allotropes
141. The Contribution of Service Sector in India’s GDP is
Ans. (B) 50%
142. The largest producer of milk in the world is
Ans. (A) India
143. In which newspaper ‘Boycott’ was first declared?
Ans. (A) Sanjiboni
144. Fill in the word grid with the words listed. Which word won’t fit?
FATE, FLAT, FORT, ROLE, TILL
Ans. (B) FLAT
145. The 100 Rupee Currency Note in India is signed by
Ans. (A) Governor, Reserve Bank of India
146. Who wrote ‘Rajatarangini’?
Ans. (B) Kalhana
147. ‘Gangani’ region of West Bengal has which type of soil?
Ans. (C) Laterite Soil
148. Unemployment in India is concentrated in
Ans. (B) Unorganised Sector
149. Let x1 , x2 , _____, x100 be 100 numbers such that xi+ xi+1 = 100 for all i. If x10 = 1, then the value of x1 is
Ans. (B) 99
150. Who founded the Anglo-Vedic college?
Ans. (B) Lala Hansraj
151. In writing the numbers from 10 to 100, how many times is the digit 7 used?
Ans. (B) 19
152. The ‘FACT Check Module’ aims to
Ans. (D) protect the Indian Government from fake news.
153. Indian Constitution was prepared by
Ans. (C) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
154. The first Indian to receive Nobel Prize in Economics is
Ans. (B) Professor Amartya Kumar Sen
155. In which Act yearly Rs. 1 lakh was allotted for the education of Indians?
Ans. (A) 1813 Charter Renewal Act
156. A is C’s son. C and Q are sisters. Z is Q’s mother. P is son of Z. How is P related to A?
Ans. (B) Maternal uncle
157. In 2006 NIDM was established. Which one of the following is correct?
Ans. (B) True
158. Why did Rabindranath Tagore refuse Knighthood?
Ans. (B) In protest of Jallianwalabagh massacre
159. The smallest composite number is
Ans. (C) 4
160. In which year was India’s first cotton textile industry set up in Ghusuri near Kolkata?
Ans. (A) 1818
161. Which of the following is the first beach in Asia to get Blue-Flag certification?
Ans. (B) Chandrabhaga beach, Odisha
162. When the Hindu College was founded?
Ans. (B) 1817 A. D.
163. The sum of all the internal angles of a hexagon is
Ans. (A) 720°
164. NATGRID will start by
Ans. (A) 31st December, 2020
165. 2162/3 ÷ (p2/9)–3/2 = 2x 3y pz, the values of x, y, z are
Ans. (A) x = 2, y = –1, z = 3
166. When was the Madras State officially renamed as Tamil Nadu?
Ans. (A) 14 January, 1969
167. ‘Indian Constitution’ is adopted by the Constituent Assembly on
Ans. (C) 26th November, 1949
168. When Indian Rupee gets depreciated vis-a-vis U.S. dollar, it usually makes our
Ans. (A) Exports Cheaper and Imports Costlier
169. The Governor of West Bengal is
Ans. (D) Jagdeep Dhankar
170. In a particular month of some year, there are three Mondays which have even dates. On which day of the week does the 15th of that month fall?
Ans. (D) Sunday
171. Sir C.V. Raman was awarded Nobel Prize for his work connected with which of the following phenomenon of radiation?
Ans. (A) Scattering
172. Natural radioactivity was discovered by
Ans. (C) Henri Becquerel
173. India made typhoid vaccine, approved by WHO was first introduced in the country
Ans. (D) Pakistan
174. Excess fluoride in drinking water causes
Ans. (C) Fluorosis
175. Superconductors are substances which
Ans. (A) conduct electricity at lower temperature.
176. Who authored ‘The Spirit of Islam’?
Ans. (C) Sayyid Amir Ali
177. The Human Development Index (HDI) is published by the
Ans. (B) UNDP
178. Who founded Indian Women’s University?
Ans. (B) Dhondo Keshab Karve
179. The greenhouse gas that is a product of the combustion of fossil fuels is
Ans. (A) CO2
180. Boghazkoi is important because
Ans. (C) inscription found here mention the names of Vedic Gods and Goddesses.
181. Which city is located along Mula-Mutha River from the following?
Ans. (B) Pune
182. In which of the following years Akbar built Ibadatkhana?
Ans. (A) 1575 A.D.
183. Which city in Gujarat is widely known as ship breaking yard?
Ans. (B) Alang
184. Samvidhan Divas or Constitution Day is celebrated in India on
Ans. (D) 26th November
185. Which among the following places has given the earliest evidence of agriculture in Indian Subcontinent?
Ans. (B) Mehergarh
186. India celebrated / will celebrate its 70th Constitution Day in
Ans. (D) 2019
187. Port Blair is located on which island?
Ans. (C) The South Andaman
188. Who was Birjis Kader?
Ans. (B) The Nawab of Oudh
189. Below given are certain statements about a river:
1. It rises on Ranchi plateau in Jharkhand.
2. It passes through the northern part of Betla National Park.
3. It is a tributary of Son River.
Identify the river based on the information given above:
Ans. (A) North Koel River
190. The gas that filled the electric bulb is
Ans. (A) nitrogen
191. In which year Salt Satyagraha took place?
Ans. (B) 1930
192. In a knock-out tournament – i.e., a tournament in which the winner in any match moves to the next round and the loser gets eliminated – there are 22 participants. Then the total number of matches to be played is
Ans. (B) 21
193. Rank of West Bengal in India with reference to total population, vide 2011 census report is
Ans. (B) Fourth
194. Which among the following Viceroys was associated with the ‘Ilbert Bill Controversy’?
Ans. (C) Lord Ripon
195. Select from the following rice-producing districts in West Bengal in ascending order:
Ans. (B) Murshidabad, Medinipur, East Barddhaman
196. ‘Economic Reform’ measures in India was formally introduced in
Ans. (A) July, 1991
197. In a row ‘A’ is in the 11th position from the left and ‘B’ is in the 10th position from the right. If ‘A’ and ‘B’ interchange, then ‘A’ becomes 18th from the left. How many persons are there in the row other than ‘A’ and ‘B’?
Ans. (C) 25
198. When the first Independence Day was celebrated in India?
Ans. (A) 26th January, 1930
199. TV remote control uses
Ans. (A) Infrared frequency
200. What number should come next in the sequence 6, 18, 72, 360, 2160, _____?
Ans. (D) 15120